Monday, April 5, 2010

5+6

I was supposed to type up my thoughts on three-six last week, but as I am obviously behind, I'm going to skip three and four. And then this week we are doing seven and eight, right? Or am I off? What are you guys doing?

One thing really stuck out to me in chapter five. Screwtape is talking about World War 2, and he says, "If we are not careful, we shall see thousands turning in this tribulation to the Enemy, while tens of thousands who do not go so far as that will nevertheless have their attention diverted from themselves to values and causes which they believe to be higher than the self." I thought this was really interesting. We always see war as a really bad, and terrible thing, and like Satan would really be rejoicing during a war. And yes it is a terrible thing, but I thought it was insightful that he mentioned that through the suffering of a war, so many people turn to Jesus, and ultimately that takes away the "joy" (if the devil ever has joy idk) the devil has in a war.

I think it's also really fun that this is more than just a spiritual-help book, or whatever. It's like a story and I can't wait to see what happens to the guy!! :)

No comments:

 
Made by Lena