Thursday, May 22, 2008

So What's All in a Name?

Here's the promised post!! I'm sorry if it's a bit short..

I guess what's really been standing out to me in the Old Testament is peoples names. Most of the time they are so silly sounding and strange. But then I started to notice that most of the peoples names came from what happened at their birth. The story that really got me started on a name search was the story of Tamar and her birth of twins (Gen. 38:27-30). I thought it was kind of funny that the midwife tied a red string to one of the twins hands, so I wanted to know if the name "Zarah" meant "red string" or something. So I got on Power Bible CD, and looked up the name "Zarah" in the Bible name dictionary. The name "Zarah" means "east, brightness." His twin's name "Pharez" means "division, rupture." I was kind of scratching my head at Zarah's name because it doesn't seem relative to the last part of the story.

"And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold twins were in her womb. And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, this came out first. And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez. And afterward came out his brother, that had a scarlet thread upon his hand; and his name was called Zerah." Gen. 38: 28-30

Here are some other names I looked up:
Ex. 2:10- The name Moses means taken out; drawn forth. That makes sense because we know he was drawn out of the water.
Ex. 2:22 - The name Gershom means a stranger here. That one also matches up with the story.

I wish I had written down more names when I came across them and looked them up. But I didn't so, I'm apologize that I only have three examples.

6 comments:

Erica said...

Great post! That's really interesting about the names...

Erica said...

Gershom, I think, is really cool.

Sadie said...

That's so interesting, Anne! (By the way, do you prefer Anne or Annie?)

I had actually been thinking about that a lot in Genesis, for instance, when Leah is having children, and she keeps saying (I'm paraphrasing) "Surely my husband will love me now!" And after each instance, it says: "Therefore she named him Reuben" Or, Dan, or Levi, or Simeon. And I was wondering if some or all of those names mean something that might apply to her situation.....I don't know. It's interesting!

Lil red said...

Erica,
I'm glad you liked the post. I wasn't sure if it was too scattered and confusing. LOL! Yeah, you should name your calf Gershom. Some of those Bible names are just a hoot!!!

Emma,
I prefer Annie. :D I guess I just noticed with the name thing that when some one was born, the mom would pick their name because of what happened at their birth. I thought that was kind of interesting. I'm not sure why that stuck out to me, but I thought it would make an interesting search. Thanks for you comment!!

Sadie said...

Haha! Yes, they are a hoot! Like Rebekah's two brothers named Huz and Buz. ;)

Sadie said...

*edit to the last post* They were actually her uncles. :)

 
Made by Lena